Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chilean Earthquake Sends Tsunami to Hawaii & Possibly West Coast as Far North as British Columbia

I've got the TV on, listening to ongoing coverage of the 8.8 magnitude Chilean Earthquake, waiting for the first Tsunami wave to hit Hawaii in about 30 minutes, at 4:05pm Eastern Time.

I do not recollect live coverage of such a thing before.

If I remember right the Seattle bus tunnel can supposedly survive a 9.0 magnitude earthquake. I would not want to be in that tunnel when that gets tested.

Nor would I want to be anywhere near the Alaskan Way Viaduct. I have mentioned before that I think Seattle, and Washington should err on the side of caution and take the Viaduct down now, before Mother Nature does.

I did not know til today's Chilean Earthquake that the highest magnitude earthquake on record was in Chile. 9.5 on the Richter Scale.

I just heard the West Coast as far as British Columbia is under a Tsunami Advisory, which I guess means, be advised a Tsunami may be on the way.

20 minutes to go til the first wave hits Hawaii. I do not recollect ever watching such a thing live before.

No comments: